Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Weekend (part 1)

Wow, I'm pooped out, and I'm only halfway through our weekend o' fun. Here is how the weekend has gone so far:

Thursday night we played card games with my grandparents and aunt and uncle until Carissa called to see if Dave and I wanted to go to a dance in town. This weekend is an all-school reunion weekend in town (along with my 10-year reunion). Dave and I got there and it was a bit surreal to see all of these people I remember from high school - some older, some younger, and quite a few from my class. I laid low and talked with just a few people. I was told by one girl that if her mom hadn't pointed me out, she never would have recoginized me because I look so different. That's the second time I've been told that in 6 months, so I asked her what it was that was different. She told me I finally don't look like a baby anymore. I had laugh, because she's right, even when I was shopping for my wedding 6 years ago, there was a woman asking me if I was shopping for prom. hee hee. I don't get asked that anymore :)

Friday morning we woke up bright and early for the 5k walk/run. We got to the park to register and pick up our super cool teeshirts. We all lined up at the starting line with the 8Kers in front of the 5Kers. They explained a couple of things, then shot the gun to signal the race had begun. I ran for a good portion of the beginning of the race, then walked for a while until my mom caught up to me. Then we alternated walking and running for the rest of the race. As we passed our friend Rick's house, Jon, Suze and Rick all came out to cheer us on :) That was so much fun. Then as we finished the race, the people who had already finished the 8k (crazy fast runners) were lined up along the road cheering the rest of us on. It gave me a huge boost to run really fast to the end. I came in at 41.10 minutes. My mom came in right after me, and we were the 4th and 5th persons to finish the 5k (because most of the people walked it). My dad and Dave walked the course, and came in at 48 minutes.


Dave and I being dorks with our matching outfitsAt 10 am we headed into the parade. Now I've been keeping a secret for almost a month about what was going to happen at this parade, and here is some video about that secret:




(sorry for the turning of the camera in the middle of the filming - oops)

Congratulations, Rich and Carissa!!!! We're so excited for you guys, and thrilled that you have found such a great match in one another.

After the parade, we had a bbq lunch with my family, decorated cupcakes with the girlies, and then I finally crashed and took a 2-hour nap. I was exhausted from the day, and didn't even wake up with people coming in and out of my room. Then we headed out to the lake to meet up with our friends, Jon and Suze, and Rick. Rick taught Gus to swim (thank you, Rick!!!), and it was so fun/ny watching Gus play in the water with Rick. He would bounce through the water at times like a deer, and we would all laugh at him. It was such a nice, mellow, relaxing evening. These are the days and evenings I dream about all winter long.
At 10 pm, we headed in to Carissa's house and watched the fireworks with my grandparents, my parents, Carissa, Rich and Madelyn. Madelyn kept her ears plugged the whole time, and Bampa (my dad) would follow her wherever she wanted to go to get a better view of the fireworks. When we got home we played more cards with my dad and my aunt and uncle, then headed off to bed.

The rest of the weekend promises to be fun. Today we are going to Wall-e with Madelyn, Carissa and Rich, and then my 10-year reunion is tonight. We're meeting up with a friend who I haven't seen since high school and her husband beforehand so our husbands will know at least one other person at the reunion. I'm excited to see people and catch up with them! Then tomorrow night we are going to a bbq back up in Waconia to see my sister Elyssia's good good friend Heather. Fun stuff!!

1 comment:

Renee and Brian said...

Wow,
you have been quite busy! Congrats on doing great in the race. We you stiff and sore the next day? A 10 year reunion sounds like alot of fun. It's so fun to see people again who you haven't seen in years. I'll be interested to hear all about it when you post again. That's great news that Gus has learned to swim. It took Sid a while to learn as well but now he loves it. Have a great day!