Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Monday, December 17, 2007

Uncle Ted

Tonight I received the sad news that my great Uncle Ted passed away - he was married to my grandma Alice's sister, Hope. I am one of the fortunate few who has had a close relationship with some of my great aunts and great uncles. Up until I went off to college, I thought it was completely normal to see all of your great aunts and uncles when you went to visit your grandma and grandpa in Iowa. I've always enjoyed spending time with all of these great people, and my great Uncle Ted was no exception.

Uncle Ted always had a smile on his face, and was a kind, gentle man. He was always interested in what we were up to, and Dave and I had great opportunities to get to know Uncle Ted in the last few years. My favorite memory of Ted is from this past June. My cousin, Matt, got married, and Hope and Ted came to the wedding. Ted smiled the entire weekend, and even got out on the dance floor with my sisters and me!! We had a great time dancing it up and teasing Ted about how his shiny head was going to get all the ladies to dance with him on the dance floor. I am so grateful that I have these memories of my Uncle Ted.

Dave's favorite memory of Uncle Ted is from Christmas 2004. We had brought my grandma Alice up to spend Christmas with us and Dave's family. When we brought her back down to Iowa, we met my aunt Mary Lee at my great Aunt Helen's house (another of Grandma Alice's sisters). We ate lunch there, along with Hope and Ted. That was the first time Dave got to really sit down and get to know Ted, Howard (Helen's husband), and Mel (Mary Lee's husband). Through getting to know each other, Ted and Dave found out that they both only had one kidney. It was their bond :)

Below is the picture from that Christmas of the men:
Dave, Howard (standing), Ted, and Mel

The ladies: Great Aunt Hope (Ted's wife), Great Aunt Helen (Howard's wife), Grandma Alice, and Aunt Mary Lee (Mel's wife)


Please keep my Great Aunt Hope in your prayers, along with the rest of their family.

No comments: