Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Friday, March 14, 2008

God's provision

Dave and I have had a strange weekend/week. We had a good time at the Philippine Day, but there were parts of it that overwhelmed us. On Sunday night I was in tears with the thought of all that I DON'T know about the Philippines, and its culture, and how to incorporate it into our life. I also cried thinking that not only do I not know anything about parenting, I also don't know anything about ADOPTIVE parenting. I began having lots of "it's not fair" feelings about it all. My angry thought was that birth parents don't have to go through the stress of learning a new culture. I wanted to be honest in my blogs, so here's my ugly side for you.

I'll admit, even though I love God with all of my heart, I don't go to Him in prayer very often. I tend to (try to) control my life and situations, and not give Him much credit. Well that night I finally decided that I couldn't do this by myself anymore. I needed God's strength and peace. I prayed that night that He would carry me through these kinds of times that are inevitably going to come through the adoption process and parenting. The prayer was more than that, but that was the gist of it.

The next morning I was still pretty on edge. I was frustrated with the fact that I need to get started on a "life book" for our child/ren, because there is no baby book out there that can encompass our unique adoption story. It's kind of like a scrapbook (and those who know me know that I'm far from being a "cropper"). I was frustrated with Dave because I felt like I was the only one of us putting myself out there to find other adoptive families that we could connect with (being an introvert, this is another hard one for me - it's exhausting because I cherish my alone time).

After we got to work and got set up for the day, my dad (and boss) suggested that we go grab some breakfast and talk about what our week looks like. We sat down and he told me he had seen my great aunt Jo that previous weekend and she wanted him to pass a message along to us. She said, "You tell those kids that they are doing a great thing by adopting, and I'm excited for them! You tell them this story: I met a family who had adopted multiple children from the Philippines. Their kids are now teenagers, and I asked them what their favorite thing was that their parents had incorporated into their lives about the Philippines. They told me that incorporating the Philippine culture wasn't what was the best part about their parents. It was that through them they became a family. They loved that their parents tried hard to incorporate the culture into their lives, but they loved being a family even more than all of that".

I sat there and cried as my dad finished telling us about this, and he kind of looked at me questioningly. Dave went on to explain that we had really been struggling with bringing the Philippine culture into our lives, and feeling like failures because we will never know enough. He told my dad that I had prayed specifically about all of this last night, and we were amazed at how God answered that prayer. In fact, God answered that prayer BEFORE I even prayed it. Wow. He's so good to us, when we don't even deserve it!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last October our furnace totally went kaput, and we had to get it replaced. Fast forward 5 months to this week...
This week we thought either our water softener or water heater were leaking. Last week the water softener guy came out and replaced a(n expensive) part on the softener. He said that he thought the leak was the water heater. Then on Wednesday of this week, we had a plumber come out to check out our utility room. Sure enough, the water heater was leaking and we had to replace it. POOP. He had planned ahead for just this problem, so he had a water heater in his truck. Later that morning, we had a guy come out to do an estimate on our deck door - we discovered that the temperature next to the door was 50 degrees and we can hear the traffic outside the door like we are sitting outside on the deck. There is no question that this had to be replaced (three years ago, but my nagging didn't have much of an effect on Dave!).

I added up the costs of all of these expenses and discovered something. The expense of all of this equaled the expenses that we have yet to pay if we would adopt 1 child. Nearly exactly the same amount - $5800. Yowsers. Want to hear something funny? I've had this little voice telling me for the past six months or so, "Hey Rachel, depend on Me to get the money for this adoption. Stop fretting about it, and obsessing over it". Well, this forces me to do exactly that. So here we go, God. I'm giving it over to You! I need Your provision, and I truly have faith that You will make this happen. I'm excited to see what kinds of surprises are in store as we practice giving it over to God every minute of every day.

To be more frugal (and perhaps learn to actually cook before we become parents), we have a goal of only eating the food that is in our cupboards for the next 2 weeks. I had to grocery shop last night to pick up 4 necessities, but otherwise I am able to create 9+ recipes out of what we already have. Woot! So you're saying - um, Rachel, 9 meals does not equal 2 weeks. Okay okay, you got me. Some of those evenings are cereal suppers. I just can't get away stop them cold turkey! I love Honey Nut Chee.rios!!!

This picture has nothing at all to do with the post, it's just an old pic of my niece, Grace, that makes me laugh...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,

I just wanted you to know that as a mom of both adopted and biological children...I can tell you, the experiences of bringing an adopted child into our family has been so different and comes with many blessings but also difficulties as well.

I thought for sure I would be SO prepared to bring Ben home. I was looking forward to being a new mom again with him without all of the pregnancy hormones and being a mom of 3 before he came, I thought I new what I was doing and I had lots of confidence.

Well,only days after he was here...I felt like a brand new mom...with no experience...overwhelmed, joyful, but fearful too. How could I do this? My husband Mark stayed home a few days extra from work to help me out after we got home and eventually we got the swing of things and I felt much better.

I guess what I am trying to say is, is that even people who are parents before adopting a child struggle and feel insecure at times.

You are going to be such wonderful parents! I also, was concerned about incorporating the Chinese culture into our family. But just do your best...do what you can. You don't want to overdo it either. Our social worker told us there is a balance...making it a part of your family but also not overwhelming the child making them feel different. They will be Americans too! We read lots of books on China, have met some Chinese families at our church who have embraced Ben and have invited us to their Chinese New Years party...so that is really a benefit for us to have Chinese friends. We know that Ben may struggle as times goes on...but that we can teach him how God has also adopted those who love him and trust Christ as His adopted children as well. And those people join His family full of all of HIs children from different cultures and nations!

There were so many God moments in our adoption. We had to trust God for every penny and in His provicence He gave us the money we needed to bring Ben home at just the right times.

It is so great of you to have posted so honestly your feelings. It will help others who also struggle and hopefully move others to encourage you as well...

I will be praying for you all.

~Kim Suchta (Kern)

Julie said...

Rachel,
So much information, where do I start. You only told me about your water heater today, not all of the feelings stuff. That is the important stuff to talk about. You know our boys, but we are in the dark about raising new kids also. When both the boys were born it was all new. They have different personalities and needs. You can and probably will read some basics in books, but most of the work is on the job training. Allow yourself to make mistakes and to learn and take time for yourself and for your marriage. You know we'll babysit (what's one or two more kids around the house?) I hope today's conference helped you with some of your feelings. You know we are here for both of you.

Amy said...

Rachel,

Becoming a parent is one of the strongest incentives to move us to our knees in prayer. We quickly find out how much is out of our control. It's one of those situation that God puts us in because we know that the only way we'll make it, is with His help.

We spent a lot of money eating out before we had kids (and went down to one income - and a Crown income at that). I'm still learning how to cook. That magic "cooking gene" didn't activate as soon as I got married or became a mom.

I can't wait to read some posts on your creative money saving meals!

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
As a fellow waiting PAP of a Filipino child, I usually just lurk and read your posts to see how you guys are doing in the process, but don't comment. This time, I read some of my same frustrations in your post and feel compelled to comment. The issue of race and culture will evolve as you and your child change. How we would address something now would be different from how we would address something later, when we have other interactions and experiences to inform our actions and decisions. Your child will have a Filipino heritage to draw on, but he/she will also be influenced by his/her Filipino-American experiences and his/her life with you as part of a multi-racial and multi-cultural family and community. It is clear you have already anticipated many things by trying to learn as much as you can about your child's birth culture and by being aware of the need to incorporate aspects of it beyond just food. I think there's only so much we can anticipate. Maybe ultimately this is what's more important--that we do what we can to ensure our children have opportunities for interaction and exposure with whatever aspects of their birth culture that we have access to and that we can give them access to...and it seems like you are doing that.

Emilie

Anonymous said...

I just want to tell you something:
You are both amazing people with so much wonderful gifts and unconditional love to share.

The best motherly advice that I can give is to be willing to roll with the punches and have fun. Those are two things that I am still working on and Emily is 6! :) Parenting really is a trail by error thing.

Cass