Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Keep flying time!!

I realized the other day that we were already past the 5-month mark of waiting. In fact I didn't even think about it until a couple of days after it had passed! I just hope and pray that time continues to move along as we wait for our referral. God's really been using this time to show me what kind of woman and mother I want to be. I remember, when I was a little girl, on days that I would wake up early and come upstairs I would find my mom reading her Bible and praying for the people on her prayer list (written down in a notebook). Sometimes I would cuddle up with her while she finished her Bible study, and looking back on that it makes me realize that I want to be that for my children. I want to be a prayer warrior for my children, and a woman who seeks God's will for my life. I have changes to make in order be this, but thankfully God doesn't ever expect me to have this perfected, He just wants me to desire Him.

This morning Dave and I were talking with each other about a news story I had read about a family who does "Frugal February" every year. In February they don't spend any money on groceries, eating out, clothing or entertainment. Pretty much they just pay bills, and continue their charitable giving. They only eat food that is in their cupboards/fridge, bake all of their bread, and make dry milk to drink (ew). They find activities to do that are free like test driving cars. They did allow themselves one night of ordering pizza with change they found in a change jar sitting around the house. I thought that was such a cool idea! I would love to try that some month. Dave and I run to the grocery store nearly every single day to pick up items for supper. I know that we could save money by planning better. We are thinking that we need to take advantage of the library offers in town of free tickets to different museums in the Twin Cities - especially now before the kids come home!

On Sunday we are going to a Philippines Cultural Event in St Paul. I am so excited to go to this!!! We are going with a gal that I met through my Ya.hoo adoption group and her family. Her son is singing with the kids' choir at the event, and I can't wait to see what all of this entails! I have no idea what to expect, which is a pretty fun way to go into it. I will definitely blog about it when we get back. Then the next weekend, we are going to a U of MN seminar about international adoption issues - risk factors and effects of institutionalization, infectious diseases and known medical conditions, country-specific medical issues, research on children adopted from orphanages, development and attachment issues, and post-adoption parenting strategies. Two weekends in a row of adoption- and/or Philippines-related activities. How exciting!!

I will now leave you with a before and after shot of Gus's most recent spa day (a.k.a. the groomer):


(We believe in extreme close ups in our family)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gus looks a little like a horse these days- i think its his long legs.