Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Thursday, January 31, 2008

ONCE

Our 14-year old nephew, Jakob, gave us the great advice get out and see movies as much as we can before our children come home. I loved his advice, so we've been attempting to do that more. Here is a story of us attempting to do just that...

Last night Dave and I were attempting go see the movie Juno at the movie theater in town. I've heard great things about this movie - even on the adoption boards. However, once we realized we forgot cash (no credit cards accepted at our tiny little theater), we realized we were going to miss the movie if we had to go back home to get some cash, so we just went to the movie store. Sometimes we get in the mood to find a good "indie" flick, so we rented two indie films last night.

We ended up watching Once, which is kind of a modern-day musical (very kind of, there is no dialogue that is sung, just more music than your average movie). I LOVED IT!!! As long as you can get past the "f" word in movies (it's set in Ireland, so I maybe it's to be expected?!), then it's a great story. It's a pretty simple story actually - it's about a guy who writes music and sings on a sidewalk in Dublin who meets a girl who gives him a kick in the pants to get his music recorded and sent out. I won't give away any more than that. The harmonies are gorgeous, and the lyrics are simple. Dave and I both give it 2 thumbs up.

The next movie we rented was Chalk. We haven't watched this one yet, but I'll give you my review after we watch it :) I guess we're really into one-word movie titles lately...

No comments: