Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Friday, April 11, 2008

Practice?

I have not been sleeping well lately. It all started last weekend when I had a slumber party with my friend Nicole. We stayed up super late, but then I had to wake up early for Lifebook day. I didn't take a nap afterward, and had a heck of a time falling asleep that night. This whole week I have had a hard time falling asleep, but having to wake up at my normal early time for week, and it makes me so tired!! I figure I'm just getting practice for future sleepless nights as a mom. Moms - how do you do it and function the next day? I worry that I'm going to be such a bad mom b/c I feel like I can barely function when I'm so tired. Dave says that once I have something to actually stay awake for (i.e. the kids), I'll have more energy to get things done during the day. I hope he's right!! I'm no spring chicken anymore, and I feel it as I inch closer and closer to 30!!

Lately we've been hearing from lots of people (4 in one week) asking us if we got our referral. I e-mailed my grandma the other day to see how she was doing and mentioned that the wait for our referral was going well, we are more than 6 months into it. I also wrote that we don't expect to hear anything until 2009 about a referral. She then e-mailed me back with this, "I'm coming up in May (next month) for an appointment. Hopefully you'll have your babies by then!!" Ugh. I love her to bits and pieces, but for some reason that put me in a bad mood that day. What do I say to the people who continually ask us, "Have you gotten your referral yet??" Dave has been patiently educating them on just how long the referral will be, but my patience is wearing thin. It starts to remind me of just how much longer we have to wait. Believe me, the entire world will know when we've gotten our referral. No one needs to fear being left out of that news :)

On Saturday we are going to the CSC banquet (Children's Shelter of Cebu in the Philippines). I'm so excited for this!! There are lots of fun things planned for the banquet, like a guy who was one of the first children at CSC, and also the brother of the man who started CSC (who is very funny). There will be a slideshow of the children at CSC, and and introduction of the families at the banquet who have adopted from that children's home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

RACHEL,

Regarding the sleep deprivation and how this mom handles it??

Prayer...LOTS of prayer for HIS strength, because in my own strength, it's impossible. Oh!....and coffee!! If you are not a coffee drinker, I suggest you start! hehe.

~Kim

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

I related with you so many times on your post. I also can not funtion without sleep and I get concerened as to how I am going to do it as a mom. I also understand your frustration around telling people nothing new is going on with the adoption. Hang in there. Your day will come. I really think that God has used the adoption process to teach me patience. Somedays I just wonder how many more lessons do I need!! I can't wait to hear your good news but until then enjoy your last summer together as two. Next year you will be very busy as a mom!!

Anonymous said...

When I returned to work after a month-long vacation in the Philippines a few months ago, several of my co-workers were convinced I went to pick up a child. At first I was annoyed--first, that would have been illegal, second it's not like this was my first extended vacation there (I try to stay long when I can b/c it takes a couple of weeks just to do the family stuff), third--the only adoption-related stuff we could do was to visit with our liaison before our flight out because ICAB does not want PAPs visiting orphanages, which i wouldn't have minded doing. Later, I came to realize that these co-workers (who were also friends) were just excited for me. But, while I truly appreciate their enthusiasm, it can be tiring sometimes. I know how long the anticipated waiting period is and have mentally prepared myself for it. It is difficult to have to constantly explain this. Anyway, I guess this long comment is to just say 'even though it will, try not to let it get to you' in way more words than needed :-)

Rachel said...

Thanks ladies, for each of your comments and your much-appreciated support. Kim - I've gotten into tea lately. Once I'm a mom I'll have to start drinking the extra caffeinated teas!!