Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Garage sale-ing and parties

I'm not a huge fan of shopping, this includes garage sale-ing. I'm not a "clothes digger" as my sister and I nicknamed some of the ladies and men out garage sale-ing yesterday. These people find AWESOME deals because they are patient, and will keep digging and digging until they find treasures. For me, if it doesn't jump out and bite me, I won't notice it.

Yesterday, my sister Carissa and I hit the city-wide garage sale in the town my parents and Carissa live in. I found some great kids' books at the first sale we went to, and we got 10 books for a quarter!! What a steal of a deal. Then later I found some squooshy balls for Gus, and some binders to organize my stuff a little better (and haggled on the price - woot). At the last sale we went to, I was walking around not really seeing anything I liked when suddenly a box fell onto my foot and stubbed my toe. I looked down and saw that it was a box that contained a practically brand-new Snugli. We had gotten some tips from a family who already went to the Philippines that it's not as practical to bring a stroller, we should bring some kind of carrier. I couldn't believe that I literally tripped over this!! I just had to chuckle at God, b/c I felt like he was saying, "Come on, Rach, use your eyes. You can save some money for the stuff you need if you just look!" Now I just need to find a little bigger one, just in case we get an older child and want a backpack-type carrier while we are there!

We got back to my parents' house, and I asked my sister how big Grace is. The carrier says it will hold up to 26 lbs, and Grace is about 26 pounds (she's a peanut). So we decided to try it out, and take some pics so you all could see for yourselves (please ignore my nastified hair)...

Later that evening, we went to a party that our friends, Jon and Suze had invited us to. We missed the Govenaires playing by about 5 minutes which bummed us out!! Otherwise we had tons of fun at the party, and of course I got some pictures too...

Jonny whipped out his hackey sack, and the boys had a good time "hacking it up". Suze and I joined in later in the night. You can see the hackey sack in front of Jon the Pro (with the white shirt). I felt like I was back in junior high/high school with Jon (only Luukey was missing).

This is the truck that Suze's brother, Rick has been working on the the past year or so. Suze and I spent a lot of our evening swinging our legs off the back of it chatting and people-watching. It was so fun!

And this is the car that Suze's dad fixed up. It's so darn pretty! If you can believe it, he hauled a garden tiller in this car one day. That cracks me up :)

Here's Dave posing in back of the car so you can see just how tiny it is (and Jon looking cool next to the truck). We sat down in it, and I seriously felt like I was sitting on the ground!

Thanks for another fun evening, Jon and Suze (and Rick)!!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Wow - Sam is 26 pounds too. Crazy. You should come practice with him too! He'd love it. I am glad you are finding bargains. You're nesting!

Renee and Brian said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Nothing beats a good bargain. I went out with a friend who was looking for a veil as whe was about to be married. Brian and myself had just gotten engaged a few days before and I had no intention on looking for a dress yet. However, once we got inside the bridal store, I saw they were having a clearance sale and I ended up buying my wedding dress then and there for only $99!!!! I couldn't believe my good luck. Hopefully you'll run into some more great bargains soon!

Anonymous said...

Yay! We're in your blog! I hate to say it but my legs are sore from hackey sack. I'm officially old...

Hope to see you guys soon!

Jenny said...

I love city wide garage sales. Glad to hear that you found some bargains...watch out you may become hooked. I won't tell you how many city wide garage sales I have been to already this spring. I already have a tub of little boy items that I have been collecting this spring. I know, I know, I should wait until we get a referral, but I just can't help myself. :)

Rachel said...

Nik - we'll have to put Sam in it and see what he thinks!!

Renee - I heart bargains. I'm notorious for only shopping in the sale/clearance sections :) Good to know I'm never alone in liking deals!

Suze - Dave's legs were hurting on Sunday, and we were laughing at how old we are. I guess we're young at heart :)

Jenny - I sure hope I start getting better at garage sale-ing!! I agree, I know I shouldn't buy stuff for the kid/s right now, but I just can't help it!!