Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Last year I hated Mother's Day. We went to church where there was a Mother's Day sermon, along with a baby dedication for two different families. We went to Dave's family's celebration and I snapped at his sister when she told me I wouldn't have to worry about cooking and cleaning on this day in the future because I would be a mom by next year. I knew I wouldn't be, and started crying and walked off when she said that. I was in a very different place last year than I am this year.

This year I am excited to celebrate the awesome women who are mothers in my life. And, as I discovered yesterday, at least two of the women in my life were excited to celebrate the fact that I am a mother (in my heart). My older sister called and wished me a Happy Mother's Day, which made me happy. My younger sister brought in a gift yesterday afternoon and announced that it was for me. Just that action alone was extremely touching, and made me so happy. I opened the card, and she pointed out that there was a poem on the inside of the card. I copied the poem at the end of this post. She told me that it had made her cry as she read it, and sure enough I started crying as I started reading through it. I love the part where it says that I would dig through the Earth to get to where they are. So true. The gift from her, Rich and her girls was Apples to Apples (the game), I'm so excited to play it!!

My dad mentioned that he was going to be doing a Mother's Day prayer at their church this year. He said that he wanted to include waiting mothers in his prayer, and asked if I had a good poem. I think he is going to read the poem that my sister gave me. I'm so glad that other women may feel a little better than they thought they would on Mother's Day by having someone acknowledge them as well, whether they are going through infertility or adoption.

Update: My mom and dad also celebrated the fact that I am a waiting mom with a Mother's Day present, and a very cool surprise announcement for Dave and I. Yesterday was a surreal, yet very much appreciated Mother's Day celebration with my family. Thanks guys!!!

I wanted this post to say an extra special Happy Mother's Day to my fellow waiting first time moms - Renee, Emilie, Joanne, Dana, Robin, and Jessica. Happy Mother's Day, ladies!!!

Your heart is aching for someone to hold you.
My heart is aching for someone to hold.
My empty arms are here to embrace you,
Soon we'll be together, Mother and child.
I hear your cries when you are hungry,
I hear you whimper when you are alone,
I hear you giggle when the nanny makes faces,
Soon we'll be together, Mother and child.
Hold on to your dreams of a family, of love
And I'll hold onto the hope of bringing you home.
Hold on to your dreams, we are coming to get you
And you'll be filling my arms, my heart, our home.
Give me your hand, I'll be there to protect you,
Give me your heart, and I'll cherish our love.
The love between Mother and child is precious,
Soon we'll be together, Mother and child.
I'll fly over an ocean to see and to meet you,
I'd dig straight through the earth to be where you are.
I'm waiting my turn; time is all that's between us.
Soon we'll be together, Mother and child.
-Julie A. Rocheleau

4 comments:

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Thanks for sharing this poem. I love it! Happy Mothers Day to you!!

Renee and Brian said...

The poem is beautiful and absolutely true. Our time to be a mom is coming, hopefully sooner rather than later! Have a great day Mom to be!
p.s. Did Gus do anything special for you on Mother's Day?? Sid took a nap on my new bedspread after he had just played in the mud. He looked so comfy there, I didn't have the heart to kick him off it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the poem. It was really sweet. Just think, this time next year, we will have our little ones to celebrate with ;). Happy Mothers Day!

Anonymous said...

thanks, rachel! happy mom's day to you, too :-)

emilie