Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Happy Belated Belated Father's Day

Dave with his new "old man" remote. The large buttons are easier to see with his aging eyes. Hee hee, thanks Riss and Ditch!

I celebrated Dave this weekend, and the father he is going to be. I made him cookies, rented movies, got his favorite foods - all of the good stuff :) Not only did I celebrate Dave, but my family did too, and it meant so much to Dave. He said the same thing that I felt on Mother's Day this year - it feels more real now that we have a light at the end of the tunnel. We know for a fact that we are going to be parents, and it feels so fun to celebrate that!

The funny part of the weekend is that I'd been saying "Happy Father's Day" to Dave all weekend. But not until another father said it to him at church on Sunday did it really hit him. HE is the father being celebrated on this day (or father-to-be in our case). He said it felt really surreal to hear people saying father, and not be talking about his dad!

I love Dave for the father I know he's going to be. I can't wait for him to:
-plant flowers, plants, fruits and veggies with our children.
-show them the difference between a weed and a plant (because Lord knows I still don't know after years of my mom and Dave trying to show me).
-cuddle with them, and shower them with big hugs and kisses.
-hold their little hands in his big man hands.
-make silly faces and voices to get them to laugh.
-run around with them outside and show them how to play fun games, toss baseballs around, throw a football...
-read them Bible stories using different voices.
-answer their endless (and sometimes hilarious) questions the best he can, especially the ones about Jesus and faith - kids ask the most amazing questions about all of that!
-freak out if/when they break his glasses for the first time.
-embarass them like crazy when they are teenagers.
-sing songs with them.
-be the amazing father that I know he is going to be, and watch him grow and learn from our kids!

Happy (belated belated) Father's Day, Dave! And Happy Father's Day to all the other dads out there (especially you waiting dads)!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, this is a sweet post :]
BTW, that remote looks awesome!

Nikki said...

Dave's old man remote makes him look really old...like maybe even 31!