Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Friday, June 6, 2008

Surprise!!

I have scheduled this post to publish at the same time that we surprising Dave for his 30th birthday!! I love scheduling posts to publish at a future time and date. I do that with almost all of mine now that Google made it available.

Dave's actual birthday isn't until Monday, but I've been planning this surprise party for the last 6 weeks. I'm incredibly nervous about him finding out about it today because he keeps ruining things!! I was going to get all of the shopping done for the party yesterday, but my car was in the shop until it was too late to go shopping. I thought, "No problem, I will just take some time and go shopping tomorrow during work. Dave will be landscaping, so he'll be none the wiser!" Um no. Dave decided late last night that since there were storms in the forecast, he would work with my dad and me today. Poop. I needed to find a reason to leave work for a long time this afternoon without Dave figuring it all out.

Sister Carissa (not the nun, the actual sister of mine) saves the day!! She is in orientation for college today (so proud of her for going back to get her degree!!). She said that I can use the excuse that the girls got sick at daycare and I need to go pick them up. I'm the substitute picker-upper, so that makes sense. So yay!! Let's hope that all works out, because up to now Dave's been ruining some of my well-laid plans :)

Here's how the surprise will (hopefully) go: Dave and I will go out for his birthday supper with my parents. We always get to pick a place to go for our birthdays, so Dave doesn't suspect anything in this. He's actually helping me play out the surprise without even knowing it because he asked if we could bring all of my grandparents along since they are all at my parents' house right now (he's such an awesome guy - he loves hanging out with all of our families). I told him that I would leave work to go get my mom and grandparents to bring them back down to the restaurant, and he could just go right to the restaurant with my dad from work.

After supper, Dave wants to go home and watch a movie and have a low-key night. hee hee. Little does he know he'll be the VIP when he walks in the door to my parents' house. We have about 30 people planning on coming to surprise Dave! I will post pictures and video sometime later!!

1 comment:

Renee and Brian said...

Rachel, I hope that everything went off without a hitch last night. I'm looking forward to more details. Surprise parties are always so much fun! When I turned 30 in October, I was hoping for a surprise party. When I got off of work, I saw that Brian was already home which is unusual. I thought that he had something special planned. When I went in the house, Brian was there with his brother who was visiting from a few hours away. They were just getting ready to leave to go to a bachelor party. Can you imagine! Leaving me all alone on my 30th birthday while he goes to a party with his brother! I was totally unimpressed but I wasn't long forgetting since we left 2 days later to go on a Meditteranean cruise with all of our friends. This year he better make it up to me!! Wish Dave a happy birthday. 30th really isn't so bad!